The 12th Storey is actually our second home. We live in a 3-storey Apartment on the 2nd Storey and my folks stay in the 12th Storey of this 22 storey building, just a kilometer from our place. My daughter goes to the 12th Storey when she’s back from school. I’ve got a timetable ready for her, which needs a new look every other week (to keep her excited and inspire her to stick to the timetable at least until the newness lasts), or else it would turn into crushed paper finding its way into the bin.
Timetable goes something like this… (anticipated response in brackets)
- Take a shower, change clothes (ok, ok…)
- Drink milk, have a quick evening meal - my mom being a good cook, it is this time of the day my 7 year old girl relishes and eats the most (yum-scrum!)
- Study / do homework for 1 hour (grrrr….)
- Play with other children from the apartment – 1 hour (yipee!)
- Break – 15 min (hmmmm…)
- Study for 1 hour (oh no, not again!)
- TV for 30 min (only half hour? Not fair!)
- Keyboard Practice for 30 min (la, la, la….)
- Play at home or simply while away time till mommy arrives (yoo-hoo!)
We say bye-bye to the 12th Storey and jump into the elevator. Meet some acquaintances on the way, say hi, bye and the courtesies or small talk in between. Jump into the car and drive away.
I catch-up with my daughter on the way. She tells me the new things she has learnt. She is preparing for the elocution contest “Keep Kochi clean” which is the day after and she rehearses the speech with all the frills. I pat her on her back and we arrive at a 3-storey building.
We take the stairs up and ting-tong, the door opens to Baby (Becky) - all smiles with my t-shirt wrapped around her neck. She skips about in excitement and shows all her antics at one go, to show us what we’d missed. Transition from 12th Storey to 2nd Storey is complete.
And so goes my story…